Low Electricity Consumption
- Ammonia refrigeration system ensures up to %40 lower energy consumption compared with freon refrigeration system according to project conditions.
Maintenance and Operating Costs
- Ammonia refrigeration system needs fewer compressors than freon refrigeration systems.
- It gives the advantage for maintenance and service costs.
- Industrial type ammonia compressors have longer working life compare to freon compressors.
Cost of Refrigerant
- Ammonia systems circulate 7 to 8 times less refrigerant than Freon systems for the same cooling capacity.
- Besides price for ammonia is approximately 10 times lower than the price for freon.
- Therefore cost of the refrigerant in ammonia system is much lower than the freon systems.
Gas(Refrigerant) Charge and Gas Leak
- Freon piping system has more threated connection than ammonia piping. Therefore gas charged is needed more often in freon systems.
- Because of a toxic effect of ammonia, steel pipes and high-quality welding connection are used in ammonia systems. Therefore risk for a gas leak is much lower in ammonia systems compare to freon systems.
- Freon systems are very sensitive to any foreign material such as air, foreign gases, dirt etc. If any impurities are present in a freon system, it might not operate satisfactorily. Even equipment breakdowns might occur.
- On the other hand, although detrimental, ammonia system can stand these impurities and no breakdown occurs.
Highest Coefficient of Performance COP
- Ammonia refrigerant has the highest cooling with less energy compared to other refrigerants.
ODP and GWP
- The ODP and GWP values of the ammonia gas are zero.
- ODP: Ozone Depletion Potential = O
- GWP: Global Warming Potential = O